About

The George Washington University has been conducting innovative research in engineering, physics, and chemistry, while providing outstanding education at its Virginia Science and Technology Campus in Loudoun County since 1991.

Investing in the Commonwealth's fastest-growing county and eager to meet community and corporate needs, the Campus has expanded its core research institutes and added to its graduate and specialized undergraduate education programs. The Campus has grown from one building to seven.

Students choose from nearly two dozen academic degree programs—with flexible formats. Academic offerings include bachelor's degree completion programs, master's degrees, doctoral degrees, as well as certificates. 

Anchored at the University Center in Ashburn, the Campus is strategically positioned in the Northern Virginia technology corridor near Washington Dulles International Airport.

A donation of 50 acres from regional developer Robert H. Smith formed the centerpiece of the new University Center and launched the Campus. The first building, Exploration Hall, opened to students in 1991. The campus has grown to 122 acres.

The George Washington University, a private not-for-profit institution governed by a board of trustees, was chartered in Washington, D.C. in 1821.