- GW Home
- Our Location
- Admissions & Aid
- GW Experience
- Faculty & Staff
Walls Rise from the Ground
A New Building Construction Update
July 15, 2013
Construction continues on the dual-purpose collections and conservation resource center to be located on GW’s Virginia Science & Technology Campus in Ashburn, Virginia. The building will feature a 22,000 square foot state-of-the-art collections and conservation resource center and an adjacent 30,000 square feet of additional space, to be designed and built-out for future academic and research activities.
Summer will see completion of the roof, as well as installation of the brick exterior, air conditioning units, and windows. Completion of the interiors is expected in September with inspections continuing through October. Full operation of the facility is projected for early 2014.
July 2013: Construction view of the collections and conservation resource center, taken from the intersection of George Washington Blvd. and Presidential Drive. The building is located at the GW Virginia Science & Technology Campus in Ashburn, Va. Photo Credit: Prospera-U.S.
- Recent Construction Activity:
- Steel and structural concrete work has been completed;
- Building exterior sheathing is mostly complete and the air barrier insulation system is being applied;
- Interior stud wall construction has begun and will be complete in July;
- Roofing of the building is underway and will be complete in August;
- Electrical, plumbing and ductwork installation has begun.
July 2013: View of the partially constructed three-story academic wing of the collections and conservation resource center, taken from Knoll Square. Photo Credit: Prospera-U.S.
July 2013: Interior view of the collections storage room under construction. The 22,000 square foot facility has been designed for the care and study of The Textile Museum collections, the Albert H. Small Washingtoniana Collection and other university collections. Photo Credit: Prospera-U.S.
- Upcoming Construction Activity:
- Installation of the brick exterior of the building is scheduled to start in July and be complete in August;
- The air conditioning units are on site and will be installed following completion of the roofing;
- Window installation is scheduled to begin in July and continue into August;
- Completion of the interiors is due in September, with final inspections continuing through October.
Webcam Now Available
There is now a webcam available where interested parties can monitor construction progress remotely. Please visit this link for the site camera. The site also features a “Time-Lapse” button where visitors can watch the building “being erected” in a 2-minute video generated using accumulated photos over time.
Questions or Concerns
For project questions and/or concerns, please contact David Dent, Executive Director of Planning, Development, and Construction at (202) 740-0907 or by e-mail.